This page has moved to a new address.

Biker Babe

Curds 'n' Weigh: Biker Babe

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Biker Babe

I rushed to the bike shop after work last night to go pick up my new toy...a Phat Cycles Beach Cruiser!  After searching for several weeks for a bike that would be sturdy enough to withstand my weight, I settled on a burgundy and black cruiser with leopard trim; the ride is incredibly comfortable and relaxing.  I raced home and made a quick dinner so that I could get out and start riding.

Yesterday was one of those nothing-in-the-fridge/thrown-together meals.  Normally after staring in the fridge for a few minutes and finding nothing to cook, I would settle on something quick (cereal, sandwich) or just go out to dinner.  I was in a creative mood...I boiled a chicken breast with some green onions, garlic, ginger, cumin and curry powder.  When it was done, I shredded the chicken and tossed it in a light peanut butter/coconut milk sauce I made.  Mixed in some raisins, sliced baby carrots, green onion, and cinnamon and had it on top of baby greens with mashed sweet potato on the side.  It was quite random, but tasty and light!


Honestly, I could have eaten a slice of bread for dinner...my only concern was getting outside on my bike. 


When I tested the bike at the shop, the ground was flat so I was fooled into thinking that I was Lance Armstrong!  As I mounted the bike in my garage and slowly pedaled into the driveway, the slight decline sent me flying into the street (thankfully there were no cars nearby).  They say that you never forget how to ride a bike--but they didn't say you'd remember how to steer!  As I wobbily navigated my way onto the sidewalk, I started to second guess my decision to get a bicycle...maybe I should just stick with a stationery bike! 

All doubts were erased by my second lap through the cul-de-sac.  The wind whipped the sweat from my forehead, my music thumped hard with lyrics urging me to keep going, don't start what you won't finish, go get it!!!  After about five minutes, I was filled with a euphoria that I'm sure is similar to a runner's high: I felt like a kid again...carefree, unworried, in a state of utopia.  I absolutely LOVE riding!  All day today, I've been anxiously awaiting the moment that I can get back on the saddle.

I only rode for about 25 minutes yesterday...I was too scared to ride near traffic, so stayed in the cul-de-sac...up the hill, around the cul-de-sac, back down, up and around.  I can tell that this will be a very effective workout, I immediately felt the burn in my calves, thighs and buttocks.  But the excitement far outweighed any discomfort.

I've set a few new goals/rewards for myself:

1.  When I lose 125 pounds, I will buy myself a custom hybrid bicycle for racing.

2.  I will ride in a half-journey next summer.

3.  If I can ride 100 total miles before July 31, I will treat myself to a new pair of riding shoes.

Do you have any fun workouts that make you forget you're exercising?

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At July 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah! I am so happy you found something that you enjoy doing. I used to ride bikes as a kid as well. It's been ages since I've ridden,. but I've thought about trying it again. I think it would be fun to ride with my boys when they get a little older.

 
At July 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes...I haven't ridden since I was 10 years old...I felt like I was 10 again! How old are your boys? That would be a wonderful bonding experience, as well as great fun for all.

 
At July 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM , Blogger Purechaos said...

Omg beautiful bike. You go girl! Ride like the wind.

 
At July 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I certainly will!!! I can't wait to get home so I can ride tonight...I actually woke up trying to figure out if I could fit a quick ride in before work. I decided...I'm tired of doing exercises I hate! I'm going to bike, dance and weightlift my way to thinness! They can keep the treadmills and elypticals for someone else lol

 

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your feedback as well as share in your story. Please take a moment to say a few words...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home